Thursday, October 12, 2006

When Tyra & Kevin Met Shirley Phelps

I am sure you guys saw the Tyra Banks show today.




Here's what Keith Boykin - a reporter for BET - had to say:

If you ever had any doubt that some of the Christian homophobes are crazy, you weren't watching the Tyra Banks Show today. After a moving interview with gay bashing victim Kevin Aviance, Tyra interviewed outspoken homophobe Shirley Phelps and two of her 11 children. Phelps, a lawyer, is a leader of a group that believes that "God hates fags" and that God intended September 11, Hurricane Katrina, and the tsunami as punishment for the world's wicked ways. But Phelps claims she loves gays. She loves them enough to tell them they're going to hell, she said.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Phelps clan are crazy. These are the same people who picketed Coretta Scott King's funeral and regularly picket the funerals of American soldiers who died in Iraq. They picket because they claim that God is punishing America for tolerating homosexuality. I'm not sure why these people are so hung up on homosexuality, but they clearly don't understand anything about the real world, about God, or about love. And as they sink into their obsession, they have isolated themselves into their own backward, homophobic, pseudo-theocratic cult of ignorance.

Tyra The 'Fag Enabler'
So why exactly are they protesting at the funerals of American soldiers? Because the parents of those soldiers raised their kids for the devil, said Shirley Phelps. Fortunately, Tyra responded. "This to me feels just crazy," she interjected. "For you to be an attorney. This is insane to me," she said. But Phelps would not back down. "I'm not going to sit here and fight with you on my stage," said Tyra, "so please be quiet."

When Phelp's daughter jumped into the conversation to support her mom, Tyra simply accepted the title they had bestowed on her as a "fag enabler," leading Kevin Aviance to stand up from the audience and applaud. "You propagate the fag agenda all over," said one of the daughters. When Tyra asked if they had friends, one of the daughters said "we don't want to be friends with the people in this world."

The girls said they started picketing when they were 5 years old, which in itself is sad. They've never had any other exposure to conflicting ideas. They've never had any friends. And they've spent their entire lives being brainwashed by their bigoted parents.

God is Love
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I believe that God is love. I believe that God created many different people, gay and straight, black and white and many others. And I believe that each of us has a unique role to play. I also believe that religion should be used as a tool for love and not as a weapon of hate. But sadly, there are people out there who would prefer to use their faith as a bludgeon to attack nonbelievers.

People like the Phelps family are the same ones who helped to create the conditions for hate crimes against Kevin Aviance, Michael Sandy and many others. It's sad enough to see adults spewing out this hatred. It's even worse to see how they have indoctrinated their children o repeat the same thoughtless, hateful messages.


If you didn't have a chance to catch the show, you can see it on October 26th:
It airs two weeks from date of original air date; which was today October 12th.
New York on MY9/Fox5 @ 9am
Los Angeles on Fox11 @ 3pm
All times are subject to change so check you local listings or you can find when it's on by going to www.tyrashow.com
(since it's syndicated).

It was a gagger, but I was brave enough to tell the world what I had went through. It was hard, but It made me stronger to have embraced the pain these kids cost me. All I wish for people who breath hate, is love. Love Darling!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ovah!
Much Love!
Uncle Bill Aviance

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about you guys, but that Mrs. Phelps gave me the chills....she was scary! Anyways, much love and good luck!!!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this woman is so totally clueless....... You my dear are so beautiful! my girlfriend and I are so in love with you. She wants nothing more than to meet you in person. The way you move, carry yourself with so much pride is unbelievable!!!! She was a dancer for many years and she moves with such feeling, when we watch you dance I know you are feeling every beat you are erotic and very sensual. That crazy woman will have to answer to her God and has no right to place judgement on anyone. We are proud of you and look forward to folloing you for years to come!!!!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home